Thursday, April 22, 2021

The Space Between Us


I mentioned in my last post that I got onto Twitter in order to check out the #FreeHaiti movement. I also have mentioned that I enjoy watching the Holy Post podcasts each week. The hosts and all of the guests always mention Twitter so those were the people and groups I started to follow. While I enjoy reading people’s thoughts, I can only take so much of it, as there seems to be little call to action but lots of philosophizing and book sales promoting. I enjoy it, but in small doses.

Truthfully, the main call to action I’ve been observing is the call of one organization for Black Christian leaders that is encouraging Black Christians to leave churches that are “white dominated” or multi-ethnic. They say that this is important to protect their dignity. They seem to be encouraging Black Christians across the country to stop taking the abuse that they assume they are enduring in these “white dominated” churches by leaving.

Another call to action came from Skye Jethani who assigned his followers to read a Christianity Today article by Timothy Dalrymple that talked about the fragmented church. Although reading is a passive action, it is a call to action. Here is that article.  

It talks about the political divide in the evangelical church and contributing factors like media sources that give completely different points of view and information, causing there to be alternative realities. A few quotes had me strongly agreeing as they articulated something that had been bothering me.

“Rather than withdrawing into communities of common loathing, the church should be offering a community of common love, a sanctuary from the fragmentation and polarization, from the loneliness and isolation of the present moment.”

“Hatred is a poor imitation of purpose, celebrity a poor replacement for wisdom, and political tribes a poor comparison to authentic Christian community. “

In addition to the political divide, the call for action I presented above shows an apparently continuing racial divide. It causes me pain. Perhaps what increased this pain was the remembrance of the Virginia Tech shootings last Friday, which marked 14 years. Many of my friends and classmates shared their memories on Facebook of where they were that day and what they remember. I joined in and shared the following:

Today us Hokies remember the tragedy that happened on the Virginia Tech campus 14 years ago. I myself was in lock down in the coliseum. As we reflect on this today, the news is full of more senseless gun violence. Can we talk? Who would like to talk?

What about a political trade off? God gets brought back into schools (not Christianity or the Bible but the promotion of the intellectual possibility of a loving God) in exchange for serious changes in gun laws. I personally think that would be a compromise and also two big steps toward a solution. Much love to you all.

I also shared this sample site I created that embodies a movement that I think would bring about serious, necessary change in the United States. Here it is. I’m looking for a church or group to adopt this project, as I certainly am not in a position to run with it, but would love to see it take off. I would love to support it, advocate for it, network, and do supportive research.

I am doing remote work for an adult computer school in Indianapolis. I meet with students online throughout the day. On Friday, April 16th, as we remembered what happened 14 years earlier, I learned about what had happened in Indianapolis the night before. Eight people were shot and killed at FedEx. Others were injured. The news reported 45 mass shootings in the past month. I couldn’t shake a feeling of depression and spiritual conviction.   

I feel as though I have always been a peacemaker. I am not afraid of conflict. I embrace it and can be enriched by it. However, I feel very unsettled when it lingers and no action steps are taken to resolve it. I feel unsettled when people aren’t willing to compromise and come to a common understanding. I have felt frustrated as I observe “communities of common loathing” forming or continuing, mostly in regards to politics, and am refreshed by the truth that “hatred is not a common purpose”.

About the organization for Black Christian leaders and their encouragement for Black Christians to leave white led churches, I have many thoughts. First of all, I love their mission of supporting, training, and funding Black Christian leaders, and I have shared their website on different occasions. But it’s also concerning to see them produce work like an article titled “Why Haven’t You Left yet?” which seems to be promoting church segregation. Is this a protection of dignity or a situation where hatred is being masked as a common purpose? I think on a case by case basis, this decision can surely be made as a protection of dignity, which is so very important. However, is it wise to apply to all Black Christians in the entire country? Is that honoring to the kingdom of God? Is this call to maintain an “us versus them” mentality and promote church segregation a good thing?

Whatever it is, it’s surely sad. I will not conclude that this organization is wrong in taking this stance. I have very little insight into the topic. I don’t live in the United States, although I grew up there, and have not had these conversations pertaining to the segregated church in America. The history and topic of race is viewed and treated very differently where I live, along with many other differences that make it hard to compare. I have only become aware of this particular issue through watching Holy Post podcasts. I can conclude that this situation is not God’s will. However, I cannot necessarily blame this particular organization for taking this stance either. Perhaps they could tweak their approach some, but perhaps the white led churches they feel hurt by should reflect seriously as well. I imagine that many are reflecting, or at least I hope so.

One main reason I conclude that segregation is not a solution is because we know that the only way to learn about each other and grow closer together is to listen to one another and speak with one another. Obviously that is not going to happen if we separate. We can separate to show the other that we are upset, in hopes that they will try to reconcile, whether that be apologizing or explaining misunderstandings. But if it doesn’t lead to reconciliation, then we are at a sad point. If I were the hurt party who felt the need to leave, and reconciliation never came, my competitive spirit might take over. I would want to impress the other party by doing something better than them. That’s just me personally.

So what is the solution? I suppose the solution is for white led churches to take this exile seriously, first. Second, I suppose a solution is for white people who desire reconciliation to go to Black led churches. I appreciate the idea of church membership, but I also like being a church hopper in order to avoid any feeling of division and embrace the body of Christ rather than a particular church. I do hope that this organization stays on the correct side of a fine line they are walking, where assumptions or prejudgments about people and churches because of their racial composition still does fall into the category of racism, regardless of patterns observed.    

If you love to discuss racism but shy away from the examination of the explicit racism in Darwin’s foundational works and how racist groups like the Alt-Right use his logic as their base, I would argue that you are not fully looking for a solution, but are being hindered by politics. If you love to discuss the evils of racism but practice it yourself then we know that that is hypocritical, not innovative or solution based. You can’t eradicate something that you practice yourself, although I surely understand the desire to fight back when one feels under attack.

There’s so much talk about white privilege, but I don’t hear any talk about American privilege. There’s an unfortunate hierarchy in the U.S. and we want it to level out. We want equality for all. But please don’t forget about the unfortunate global hierarchy and work to level it out as well. Even if you find yourself low on the U.S. hierarchy, you’re near the top of the global one. 

Sometimes I listen to class struggles in the U.S. with compassion as the history of race relations was always something that brought about much compassion in me. However, other times I hear things that, to me, show how people are really looking at the glass half empty and forgetting how much more level the playing fields have become, despite there still being work to be done. I sometimes relate it to fighting for the position of king of the world. Prince of the world just isn’t satisfying, it seems. Or does the prince not realize what he is? While it’s admirable to want the best, who would feel very sorry for a prince? (Not that anyone is looking for pity, but in referring to a glass half empty mindset). Princes should use their position to do good and know that they may become king one day. So that’s just another perspective coming from outside of the U.S. of A. If you didn't get the analogy, I'm calling "white America" king of the world and "Black America" prince of the world.

The organization on the matter of racial justice over this past year has been amazing. The fact that incidences are taped and made public has allowed for much more accountability. Change is hopeful with the April 20th verdict of the Chauvin trial. However, it seems as though the public seeing these incidences also creates more fear and rage. It’s important that we keep things in perspective and do not let fear dominate. While we want police reform, just as us women can’t live in fear of men because abuse to women happens, people of color should not live in fear of police because these incidents happen. The United States is a huge country and these things are comparably rare when you look at it that way.

Cariol Horne

One way I believe such incidents could be further reduced is if there were more minority representation in the police force. I was so pleased to hear the story of Cariol Horne as it serves as proof of that claim. Minorities in the police force create change. It also shows that this has been discouraged historically. Why not make that part of the battle field as well?

Lastly, serving others can be refreshing and empowering, while simultaneously humbling. I invite anyone reading this to consider volunteering with us down here on the island of Hispaniola. Spending time here would give you a different insight into how race is perceived and experienced and also show how privileged you are to be an American citizen!   

Check out this interview with Ivenson, one of the young men who has spent years growing up in our group home. He shares a bit about the issues in Haiti and Cite Soleil, where he is from. I would love to see the Black Lives Matter movement include Haiti. The history of the Haitian Revolution embodies racial justice and dignity, yet so many innocent lives are still in bondage there. At the same time, in some ways, it is an absolutely magnificent paradise. I wish Black Lives Matter and everyone who is sensitive to the cause would help #FreeHaiti. Here's the link to Ivenson's interview in case it's not showing up for you.  



Let’s keep working at this. He has a solution. Iron sharpening iron does not feel comfortable, but it does make us all better over time. Let’s not give up. Let’s not go backwards. Let us not forget that we all have a common enemy and his work is easier when we are divided. Have a blessed day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment